Show them the Buffet - Sell them the car they didn't know they wanted!

"Show them the buffet" was something Ed always said and firmly believed. All of the cars were mixed up, so if you wanted to see all of any particular model, you'd have to walk through the whole lot, the back lot where the new arrivals are, and even though the shop to see if any were in there being worked on. After doing that the customer has seen all of the cars on the lot! Not only the ones they are looking for.




Why do this if the customer is clearly looking for a $18,000 extended cab 4x4 truck??

It really dose not matter how sure you are that the customer will only accept exactly what they are looking for, it is possible they see something and completely shift gears. You may not have exactly what they are looking for, but you do have something they would love to own!

Here's what Morris did - A truck customer bought a VW Bug!

My good friend Morris took a customer one day that was looking for a certain truck in a certain price range, he knew the truck had sold but thought there might be something close in back that he might be able to sell him, and said; "let's go back and take a look." on the way back before even getting to the trucks the customer spotted a yellow VW Bug convertible! "wow! I've always wanted one of those." said the customer. Morris had a sale, not a truck but a yellow VW bug convertible.

Had he said; "I'm sorry that truck sold." or, not walked him through the lot, he would not have had a sale.

Here's what happened to me - A truck customer bought a Camaro!

I had a customer once that I was working a deal on a crew cab pickup once, he need the crew cab it was going to be used as a pilot car in front of oversize load trucks. We were having a hard time coming to an agreement on the price of the truck, the payment was a little too high and it was the least expensive available vehicle. As we were working the numbers he was looking out the window at a Camaro that he had also admired when we were walking thought the lot earlier. He said I know a guy who uses a Camaro as a pilot car! So, rather that a truck, I sold a Camaro.

Make sure you qualify the customer in the beginning but remember, your customer may not know all of the possibilities until you show them the buffet.


Affiliate advertisement

Most sales will be made after the 5th closing attempt, and most salespeople only know one close!


Look — If you keep doing what you're doing now then you can't expect different or better results. The key to fatter paychecks is preparing yourself with intelligent comebacks. Imagine if you knew EXACTLY what to say when you heard stuff like this:
  • I'm not interested.
  • I'm too busy right now. It's not a priority.
  • Just email me some info and I'll keep it on file.
  • The price is too high / We don't have the budget.
  • I need to wait / I need to think about it. Call me in six months.
  • I need to talk to my VP, partner, boss, wife, etc.
  • We're currently using another supplier and we're happy.
  • It won't work for us. We don't need it.
  • We've had a bad experience with this type of thing.
  • You're too small / never heard of you.
  • You're just trying to sell me ...
  • I like the idea, but I need you to tell me I'm making the right decision.



Get yourself a copy of my Baker's Dozen for Relationship Selling!





Are you new to selling, struggling in sales,or just want to sell more? 

These are the essential secrets to selling and the first things a beginner in sales needs to learn. If you always do these things — you will succeed!

After mastering the Baker's Dozen for Relationship Selling, you’ll close more sales with higher gross and build lasting relationships with your customers that will result in a lifetime of repeat and referral business!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog